Our microanalysis laboratory is an analytical unit, which provides elemental analysis service for universities, chemical and pharmaceutical companies, research and industrial foundations. We perform the following evaluations: analysis of C, H, N, the halogens: Cl,Br,I,F and S,P, all in a broad spectrum of samples, (for example, synthesized organic compounds, natural products, coal and coal derived materials, pharmaceutical, industrial samples and others).
Methods and Equipment
1. Determination of C, H, N is performed using the Perkin-Elmer 2400 series II Analyzer. It uses a combustion method (950-10000C) to convert the sample elements to simple gases. The system uses a steady-state, wave front chromatographic approach to separate the controlled gases. They are detected as a function of their thermal conductivity. High speed microprocessor control, solid-state components and built-in diagnostics provide assurance of performance and reliability.
2. Determination of halogens is done using the oxygen-flask combustion method (Schoniger application) for the decomposition of organic samples and subsequent potentiometric titration by the 835 Titrando Metrohm Titroprocessor and by Ion chromatography analysis using a Dionex IC system.
3. Determination of sulfur is done via oxygen-flask combustion method and subsequent gravimetric titration and by Ion chromatography analysis using a Dionex IC system.
4. Determination of phosphorus is done using wet decomposition of organic samples followed by spectrophotometric detection or via oxygen-flask combustion method and subsequent by Ion chromatography analysis using a Dionex IC system.
5. Water Determination by Karl Fischer is done using 835 Titrando System consisting of a volumetric Karl Fischer titrator with built-in buret drive for volumetric Karl Fischer titrations.
CHN weight percentages are accurate and reproducible to within ± 0.3%, for a very pure sample. Halogens, S and P weight percentage are accurate and reproducible to within ± 0.5%.
You need to submit your sample in a small vial that is clearly labeled with a sample code and complete an "Elemental Analysis Request Form".
Your sample code should consist of your initials and a number that refers to an individual sample. You can acquire blank forms from our lab, by post, or on-line here. Also, please complete and forward the payment form attached here.
Please provide as much information as possible about your sample, and what element you wish to determine. Give the formula and draw the structure or at least an indication. Deduce your %CHN content. It is essential that you provide your name, phone number, e-mail address, your advisor's or company name, and purchase order or account number for billing purposes.
You should provide a bare minimum of 5 milligrams for CHN analysis. You will need to provide an additional amount if you require further analysis in addition to CHN. In cases where you have a very small amount of sample, it is possible to do one CHN run with only 1 mg.
CHN results are normally completed within 3 working days, but this can vary depending upon sample load and instrument problems.
Halogens, S and P analysis are usually finished within 5 working days.
You can ask for urgent analysis, at an additional cost.
Results can be picked up at the laboratory or sent to you via e-mail or regular mail.
For further information please contact Dr. Carina Hazan.
Tel: (972) 2-6585606
Fax: (972) 2-6584934
Microanalysis Lab, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Edmond J. Safra Campus
Los Angeles building, room 114
Givat Ram, Jerusalem, 91904,Israel