The Institute of Chemistry at The Hebrew University of Jerusalem was the first of its kind to be established in the country when the University was founded in 1925. The moving spirit in establishing the
It was Prof. A. Fodor who in 1924 established the institute, a year before the official opening of the
Among the leading proponents of the different research fields developed during the twenties and thirties of last century, many famous names can be found.
To name a few: Profs. Frenkel and A.D. Bergmann in Organic Chemistry, Prof. G. Stein in Physical Chemistry, Profs. Kirson and Glazner in Inorganic Chemistry.
The students, scientific grandchildren and great-grandchildren of these founding scholars are today the backbone of chemistry and its various branches at academic institutions and industry at large of the State of Israel.